Kathak / Lavani Exponent
Aditi inherited her keen sense of music and rhythm from her mother Smt. Ragini Bhagwat who is a trained classical singer and who dedicated most of her time listening to music and making every note perfect.
Aditi carried this tradition further after starting to learn Indian classical dancing at the tender age of 4 years. She began rigorous training in the Jaipur style of ‘Kathak’ dance under Padmashri Dr. Roshan Kumari with strict discipline and ethics. She has also received the able guidance of Kathak exponent Smt. Nandita Puri and Tabla virtuoso Pt. Yogesh Samsi. Having secured a masters in Psychology, Aditi did her masters in Kathak dance from the Gandharva Mahavidyalaya.
She is an ‘A’ graded artist of the Doordarshan Kendra, impaneled with the Indian Council of Cultural Relations and has received the title of ‘Nalanda Nritya Nipun’ from the Nalanda Dance and Research Academy, Mumbai.
With a strong foothold in traditional Kathak dance, Aditi has experimented with the traditions of Jazz and world music. Her first collaborative ventures were with Jazz maestro Louiz Banks, percussionist Sivamani and music composer Merlin D’souza from India. Crossing the borders of her discipline, she collaborated with pianist Bela Szakcsi Lakatos (Indo-Gypsy Jazz project, Budapest Spring Festival), New York based pianist Rod Williams (The Issue Project), Jazz Harpist Susan Mazer and Flautist Dallas Smith (Reno Artown Festival) and with Flamenco exponent Bettina Castaño.
As a dancer, she has enthralled audiences not only in India but also in countries like USA, Australia, London, France, Spain, Germany, Portugal, Poland, New Zealand, and Hungary including performances for:
- Workshop for Summertime at Prithvi Theatre
- India Summer Days Festival 2019, Karlsruhe (Germany)
- Reno Artown Festival, USA
- Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation ‘FlamencoKathaa’ tour 2018 USA
- BRICS Summit Dance Gala 2017, Xiamen, China for ICCR
- Sree Sankara International Dance Festival, Kerala
- Support A Child Foundation ‘Krishnapriya’ tour, USA 2016 and 2017
- Kathak -Lavani jugalbandi at the Hottal Mahotsav 2018, Kala Ghoda Arts Festival 2017, International Fleet Review 2016, Ganga Mahotsav, Celebrate Bandra festival
- Make In India 2016 (In the auspicious presence of the Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi)
- ‘Kathak Thumri Jugalbandi’ at NCPA, Sangeet Mahotsav 2017, Maniknagar, Mumbai Sanskriti Festival, 2014.
- ‘Diwali at Times Square’, New York City, 2013.
- Printemps de Bourges 2012 (Bourges Spring Festival), France with world electronic fusion group Kartik and Gotam: Business Class Refugees.
- International Youth Federation World Camp, USA 2011.
- Tenri Japanese Institute, New York, 2010.
- Vasantrao Deshpande Smriti Samaroh (South Central Zone Cultural Center), Nagpur
- Thiba Palace Arts Festival, Pt. Ram Marathe Smriti Samaroh, Kesarbai Kerkar Sangeet Samaroh, Goa Kala Academy, Gopi Krishna Mahotsav, Mumbai Festival, Raindrops dance Festival, Ellora Festival, Agra Taj Mahotsav and so on.
- Aditi has featured as the lead dancer/actor in a Bollywood musical Dreamgirls of Bollywood which was launched in collaboration with the Skycity Theatre, New Zealand in April 2009.
Her online ventures include performances for –
- TedEx Serenemeadows 2021
- The Asia Dance Festival (Seoul)
- Lecture/Demonstration series for the Cassandra Voss Centre (St. Norbert College, Wisconsin)
- The Livingston Public Library (New Jersey)
- Songs of the Courtesan (Alka Jalan Foundation and Inner Courtyard)
- Inner Wheel Club of Bombay
- Online workshops and dance tutorials for Prithvi Theatre, Kathakbeats, Dancers For the World (DFW), Corona Relief Fundraiser (Sewa USA) and Avid Learning
‘FlamencoKathaa’ and ‘Crossroads’ are Aditi’s collaborative ventures with Spanish Flamenco. Aditi produced ‘Crossroads’, a unique blend of Jazz-Kathak-Flamenco, in collaboration with the NCPA and the Consulate General of Spain in Mumbai at the Spectrum International Dance Festival in February 2020.
Aditi received the OneBeat fellowship which was an initiative of the US Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Under this fellowship Aditi collaborated with 32 musicians from all over the world. Aditi featured as a ‘foot percussionist’ from India and successfully combined Indian rhythms and Kathak bols (syllables) through her feet and ghungroos.
Aditi co-produced and acted in the international short film titled “Aarsa” which premiered at the San Francisco Independent Film Festival and showcased at the Phoenix Film Festival, New York Indian Film Festival, Dadasaheb Phalke Film festival, Kashish LGBTQ Film Festival and Inside Out LGBTQ Film Festival in Toronto.
Aditi deeply loves and respects the rich cultural heritage that our country is adorned with. She is indebted to her Gurus for introducing her to this beautiful culture of Kathak dance and classical music.
Kathak flamenco jazz with Flamenco exponent Bettina Castaño and Jazz musicians Dallas Smith and Susan Mazer.
Sister acts with Thumri exponent Dhanashree Pandit Rai
Kathak ki Ada
Lavani ka Thumka- Kathak Lavani Jugalbandi with Kathak exponent Harshada Jambekar
Conversations in Taal
Flamenco Kathak collaboration with Indian Flamenco artist Shehzeen Cassum
Kathak Jazz Lavani with Jazz maestro Louiz Banks.
Taal Saaz aur Awaz
Kathak meets Sufi Ghazal Thumri Rajasthani folk. A collaboration with vocalist par excellence Runa Rizvi Shivamani
Online Training in Dance
/ per session per student
(Sessions conducted on Zoom and Skype)
/ per month
/ per session
Masterclass / Workshop
The academy also offers designing, styling and tailoring for Kathak and Indian folk/fusion dance costumes by designer Inderjit Nagi.
End of Content.
February 28, 2020
Dinanth Mangeshkar Sabhagriha, Mumbai. Aditi presents Kathak dance segments to…Read More
February 28, 2020
Crossroads at Meraki 2020, St. Joseph’s College-Bangalore.
February 25, 2020
Aditi Bhagwat, in association with the Consulate General of Spain,…Read More
February 25, 2020
Jazz- Kathak -Flamenco at Bandra Base, Mumbai.
February 23, 2020
Aditi Bhagwat (Kathak) and Bettina Castaño (Flamenco) collaborate with Jazz…Read More
February 23, 2020